|Full Name||Derek Sanderson Jeter|
|Nickname (s)||D.J. or Mr. November or The Captain, Captain Clutch|
|Profession (s)||Business player; Actor; Author; Businessperson|
Physical Stats and More
|Height (approx.)||in centimetres: 191 cm|
|in meters: 1.91 m|
|in feet inches: 6 ft. 3 in.|
|Weight (approx.)||in kilogram: 88 kg|
|in pounds: 194 pound|
|Hair color||Dark Brown|
|Date Of Birth||June 26, 1974|
|Day of Birth||Wednesday|
|Place Of Birth||Pequannock Township, New Jersey|
|Father||Sanderson Charles Jeter|
|Wives||Hannah Jeter (M. 2016)|
|Education (Graduation) University of Michigan|
|Education (High School) Kalamazoo Central High School|
|MLB debut||May 29, 1995, for the New York Yankees|
|Last MLB appearance||September 28, 2014, for the New York Yankee|
|MLB statistics||Batting average: .310
Home runs: 260
Runs batted in: 1,311
|Teams||New York Yankees (1995–2014)|
|Awards and Honours||
|Salary (Till now)||1992||$800,000|
|Total worth||$185 million|
|Derek Jeter Quotes||
Lesser known facts about Derek Jeter
- Derek Jeter was born into a multiracial and multicultural family with his father, Sanderson Charles Jeter, being an African-American and his mother, Dorothy, being of European origin.
- Derek Jeter’s father, who later became a successful businessman, was also a baseball player at the University level.
- Derek Jeter’s parents were very particularly concerned about the upbringing of their child and always wanted to instill the virtues of positivity and goodness, which shows in his behavior.
- During the initial four years of his life, Derek Jeter lived in New Jersey (which was also his birthplace) before moving to Michigan.
- Derek Jeter was very influenced by baseball star outfielder Dave Winfield, whom he considered as an idol, and was his motivation and inspiration to pursue a career in baseball.
- Derek Jeter started playing little league baseball just at the age of five, keeping the legacy of his family (baseball) continued!
- Since childhood, Deter Jeter was a huge fan of the New York Yankees baseball team and even expressed his desire to play for it when once asked about his dream.
- During his school years at the Kalamazoo Central High School, he even played basketball for his school team, apart from baseball.
- Since his playing years at the school level, Derek Jeter became quite famous for high average scores which were quite expressive for any school team player.
- Derek Jeter used to receive several sports awards, including state-level honors during his senior years at school. He even won the best player of the year from the American Baseball Coaches Association in 1992. Other awards that he received included the scholar-athlete award, high school player of the year award from the USA Today.
- Derek Jeter was so good as a baseball player during his high school years that he even got a sports scholarship to pursue higher studies at the University of Michigan where he played for the University team of Michigan, named the Michigan Wolverines.
- During his early career as a professional baseball player, Derek Jeter started playing for the Gulf Coast Yankees and played four seasons of the minor league baseball from 1992-1995.
- In 1995, Derek Jeter made his debut in the Major League Baseball with a contract with the Gulf Coast Yankees, the rookie league affiliate of the New York Yankees. But since he was batting at the ninth position for them, he did not get much chance to bat in that season and went unnoticed and felt non-contributing to the team which made him quite disappointed.
- During his initial years, the owner of the then Gulf Coast Yankees, George Steinbrenner, and his advisor, Clyde King, both felt that Derek Jeter was not yet ready to play in the Major League Baseball just because he had very less experience as compared to the other legendary players in the team such as Mariano Rivera.
- It was on the insistence of the then vice president of the Gulf Coast Yankees, Gene Michael, (who always believed that Derek Jeter is a great player and even was the guy who gave him the chance to play in the Major League Baseball at the first place as a replacement for injured players such as Patrick Franklin Kelly and Tony Fernandez in the 1995 season) and his assistant general manager, Brian Cashman, that the owner of the Gulf Coast Yankees let Derek Jeter play in the 1996 season of the Major League Baseball.
- In 1996 season, however, unlike the last season, Derek Jeter got an opportunity to play in the matches and with his incredible play was able to impress Joe Torre, the newly appointed manager of the Gulf Coast Yankees.
- Derek Jeter played so well in the 1996 season of the Major League Baseball that he was even awarded as the AL Rookie of the Year award.
- Following the 1996 Major League Baseball, Derek Jeter went on to play many successful series for his team, the Gulf Coast Yankees, such as the 1996 American League Championship Series and the 1996 World Series in both of which he played exceptionally well and led his teams to victory.
- By 1997, Derek Jeter had become the best batter of the Gulf Coast Yankees with a very good batting average, home runs, runs batted in, runs and hits.
- In 1998, Derek Jeter played his first ever All-Star game.
- In 2003, Derek Jeter suffered a serious shoulder dislocation injury because of which he could not play baseball for a month and a half straight.
- After his return from the injury, Derek Jeter was declared as the captain of the Gulf Coast Yankees, the first captain the team got since the retirement of their legendary player, Don Mattingly, in 1995.
- Though over the years, the performance of the Gulf Coast Yankees kept on falling and they kept on losing matches one after the other, Derek Jeter’s performance did not and he continued to remain the only hope of the team in crucial matches for a long time.
- The year 2009 was a year of great personal achievements for Derek Jeter as a player. An American sports magazine, named Sports Illustrated, gave him the title of the Sportsman of the Year for 2009. He also won the Roberto Clemente Award, the Hank Aaron Award, the Gold Glove Award (for the fourth time in his career) and the Silver Slugger Award (also for the fourth time in his career). That year, he also won his fifth World Series Championship.
- In 2012, Derek Jeter became a victim to a few injuries. First, he got a bone bruise and he broke his left foot ankle while playing one of the last matches of that season. Because of this injury, he had to go on a rest break during which he also got operated for his left broken ankle. However, during recovery, he again got a crack in his fractured ankle, thereby further delaying his return to the field. His injury fling continued in 2013 season also when after playing only a single match after his return to the field, he got a strain in his quadriceps. In the same year, he also got a grade 1 strain in his calf muscle and some problem in his previously injured ankle.
- After completely returning from his injuries, Derek Jeter returned to the field in 2014 pre-announcing that this would be his last playing season.
- During his final season, Derek Jeter was honored by almost the whole baseball fraternity for his contribution to the world baseball game, be it fans of his team, other teams, even other rivals baseball teams such as the Boston Red Sox and the Hillerich and Bradsby Company (H&B) who makes the famous Louisville Slugger baseball bats. He was given a standing ovation in the Yankees Stadium with fans holding signboards of his uniform number 2 in his honor.
- Derek Jeter is probably one of the very few players who served their whole career with the same tea they joined at the beginning of their major league baseball professional playing career.
- Derek Jeter earned the nicknames such as ‘Captain Clutch’ and ‘Mr. November’ because of his amazing postseason performances.
- Despite his wonderful playing style, Derek Jeter was often criticized for his defense style to which he very sportingly replied in his interviews that it is a part of the game to receive criticism well and rather use it to improve your skills and overall game.
- Derek Jeter runs a charitable foundation named Turn 2 Foundation dedicated to the school children and teenagers who perform incredible well academically. It also helps to keep children and teenagers away from all kinds of drug abuse and alcohol addiction and promotes them to have a healthy lifestyle.
- Derek Jeter owns quite a huge range of real estate across different cities of the United States such as the New York, the New Jersey, the Greenwood Lake, Manhattan, the Davis Islands, and the Marlboro Township. He was even a part of some income tax dispute with the income tax department of the United States in relation to one of his real estate property declaration and tax payment.
- In his personal life, Derek Jeter has quite been notorious and had several link-ups with some very famous personalities, such as singer Mariah Carey, model Vida Guerra, former Miss Universe Lara Dutta, singer Joy Enriquez, TV star Vanessa Minnillo, actress Minka Kelly, Jessica Biel, Scarlett Johansson, Jordana Brewster, and model Hannah Davis, to name a few!
- Derek Jeter finally officially confirmed his relationship with Hannah Davis, with whom he got married in 2016 and has two daughters together.
- Derek Jeter started an imprinting business while he was injured in 2013 and named it Jeter Publishing. He did quite a few other business ventures too with purchasing a football team, named “the Buffalo Bills”, in 2014, being the brand development officer for a private frozen food company, named “Luvo Inc”.
- Derek Jeter has made several television appearances in shows such as Seinfeld, Saturday Night Live and comedy films such as Anger Management and The Other Guys.