|Full Name||Joseph Jacques Omer Plante|
|Nickname (s)||Jake The Snake|
|Profession (s)||Ice hockey goaltender|
Physical Stats and More
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters: 183 cm|
|in meters: 1.83 m|
|in feet inches: 6 ft 0 in|
|Weight (approx.)||in kilogram: 79 kg|
|in pounds: 175 lbs.|
|Date of Birth||January 17, 1929|
|Day of Birth||Thursday|
|Place of Birth||Notre-Dame-du-Mont-Carmel, Quebec,
|Sexual Orientation||Not Known|
2nd Better half – Raymonde Udrisard
Michel and Richard
|Awards and Honours||
|Total worth||$1 Million|
|Aaron Judge Quotes||Whenever I won an award in the NHL, I thought of my father and the pride he would get in reading about it and having people mention it to him.|
Lesser Known Facts about Jacques Plante
- He chose to review books as well as painting over hosting likely to parties with his teammates.
- During his profession, he had actually obtained greater than 2 hundred facial stitches. He also had had 2 damaged cheekbones, four broken noses, and also a broken head.
- Plante is considered one of the most crucial innovators in ice hockey.
- His wife was ill at the time, and he required surgery on his right knee.
- Upon retirement, Plante took a job with Molson as a sales representative but remained active in the NHL.
- As the 1958 hockey season was coming to an end, Plante was injured when a puck hit his forehead.
- Plante consented to sit as a version for the mask, and also to wear it throughout the following hockey period.
- Plante contributed to the Canadiens winning the following eleven video games straight, all while using his mask.
- Plante was one of the initial goaltenders to skate behind the net to stop the puck.
- While an amateur, Plante created his unorthodox goaltending design, wandering behind his internet to clear pucks from opposing players. His very first NHL video game, throughout the 1952 play-offs, was a shutout, as well as he took place to win 82 shutouts in 837 regular-season video games and also 15 nothings in 112 playoff video games.
- Plante was a pioneer of the design of a play for goaltenders. While there had actually been various other goalkeepers prior to him that periodically came out of their fold to play the puck.
- He also was the very first to increase his arm on an icing phone call to allow his defensemen to recognize what was happening on the ice, and also, he perfected a stand-up style of goaltending that stressed positional play, cutting down the angles and also remaining square to the shooter.
- Plante’s book on Goaltending was the first of its kind as well as strengthened his area in the video game as not simply a terrific stopper however a man who genuinely understood hockey and intended to have an impact on how the video game would certainly be played in the future.
- In 1963, Plante was traded as part of a seven-game offer to the New York Rangers, where he invested the next two periods.
- Plante was the first NHL goaltender to constantly wear a mask when playing. With the help of other experts, he made and evaluated several versions of the goalie mask, consisting of a variation these days’ mask/helmet mix.
- Plante was taken into consideration a leading goalkeeper, he was traded in part due to the fact that he of his stringent perspective.
- In the autumn of 1985, Plante was identified with terminal tummy cancer.
- He retired after the 1964-65 season, during which he was demoted to their minors’ team, the Baltimore Clippers.
- During his retired life, Plante worked as a salesperson for Molson’s. He had actually formerly been their goodwill ambassador during his off-seasons.
- Plante’s tenure as a salesman was brief. He returned to hockey in 1967, when he was authorized by the St. Louis Blues, an expansion team.
- Plante was the eldest of 11 children. In 1949, he wed Jacqueline Gagné; they had 2 children, Michel and Richard.
- He relocated to Switzerland with his 2nd better half, Raymonde Udrisard, however, remained active on the North American hockey scene as an analyst, consultant, and also goaltender fitness instructor
- He passed away in Geneva, on February 27, 1986, shortly after he had actually been identified with untreatable tummy cancer. He was buried in Sierre.
- He was just one of the very first to elevate his arm on a topping call to allow his defencemen to recognize what was happening.
- Plante developed a positional design, reducing the angles; he became one of the first goaltenders to compose a how-to book regarding the placement.
- Plante was inducted right into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1978 and into the Quebec Sports Pantheon in 1994
- His jacket, #1 was retired in 1995 by the Montreal Canadiens.
- The Jacques Plante Memorial Trophy was established in his honor as an award to the leading goaltender in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey Organization.
- The Jacques Plante Trophy was developed in Switzerland after Plante’s fatality; it is provided each year to the top Swiss goaltender.
- The major sector in Shawinigan, the town he grew up in, was renamed to Aréna Jacques Plante.
- Plante finally relinquished hockey in 1975, after the fatality of his youngest child.
- He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1978.
- When his coffin was brought from the church following the funeral mass, it passed under an arch of hockey sticks held high by a team of young hockey gamers from Quebec, checking out Switzerland for a competition.